Wednesday, February 4, 2009

You Can't Please Everyone...

That is one thing that being married has taught me. That was the first time I ever tried to please people was when I entered into the relationship with my husband, and no it wasn't my husband I was trying to please.

There was a straw recently that broke the camel's back though. Maybe not for my husband but for me. A pet had to be put down and I sent a pet sympathy card to the owner of the animal. Why did I do this, because I understand how hard the loss of pet can be. I just had recently lost my beloved dog back in October and still am not over that. So knowing that people do care can help a situation like this. I was fortunate enough to get cards from a few people and a donation in our dog's name to an animal hospital and it really helped to know that people realized what our animal had truly meant to us.

Well, it sure wasn't good enough, that is for sure. Why do you ask, I have no idea. But my husband got an ear full about that I sent a card to that person over the cat passing but I didn't over the dog passing over a year ago. Well, from what I understood was the dog was my husband's childhood pet, so why would I send a card to someone else?

I think another thing that gets me to is being referred to as "your wife" when one speaks to my husband about me. I kind of find it all funny and feel a bit sad for the people that do that, but honestly I think it is truly their problems that they have to work through before they can be pleased with other people and efforts that are made by them.

Afterall, don't you have to be happy with yourself before you are happy with someone else?

2 comments:

  1. Ugh. Nothing irritates me more than when people that know your spouse's name refer to them as "your husband" or "your wife" just to add that extra degree of separation. It's both rude and obnoxious.
    Of course it also irritates me with the converse, when someone who, hell, you even attended their wedding, still refers to "their wife" instead of by their name to put up a wall saying "I don't want you to mistake friendship for courtesy, so don't pretend you know 'my wife'".
    I think the only thing more irritating than that is the constant bickering about if/when we will have kids - as if it's not our decision to make, but rather theirs.

    The world is filled with bitter beings. For some strange reason it's all the same people who thrive on others faults and failures and think that they can move up in the world by spreading juicy gossip. But in their little corners they have to walk on eggshells to make sure they never make social headlines. I do not envy this miserable life. I'd rather send unnecessary cards and be criticized than be chastised for being insensitive and sending nothing at all.

    In a lose/lose situation, you just have to find the best way to lay out your cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What if you are tired of laying out your cards and just feel that it truly isn't worth your time or effort anymore??

    ReplyDelete