Thursday, February 5, 2009

Pull Over, Pull Over...

It is the morning drive and I am cruising along just like all the others, maybe a little faster because after all I am in the fast lane. And that is when I see it…a white car parked on a little turnabout in between the four lanes of traffic. I put my foot on the brakes and slowly bring myself down to 60 mph, I was doing around 75mph.

I pass the car and look in my rearview and the car is pulling out behind me. At that moment, even before the lights came on, I knew I was getting pulled over. Just a few seconds later, the red, white and blue lights light up. Sigh…blinker on and changing lanes in order to get to the side of the highway.

I look at the officer through my rearview as he is approaching my car. My heart sinks a little when I recognize the uniform. He is a state boy. He asks for my license and insurance and wants me to explain why I was going so fast. The only excuse I can give him is that I was running late for work. I also had to explain why the plates would not match up to the car that I am currently driving, fun times right there! All of this while ending each sentence with a sir. Respect is one thing that I was raised to give an officer, even if they do pull you over.

He goes back to his car and runs all of my information. I know in my heart that I am going to be getting a ticket because I was going faster than what he would write a warning for.

He emerges about five minutes later with ticket in hand and explains everything to me. I am doing the entire yes sir and no sir thing again and thanking him, telling him to have a nice day, etc. He was kind and wrote it for 74mph in a 55mph zone, so he saved me some money on that. I truly believe that is what the respect can get you, just a tiny break when you need it because he could have easily written it for over 75mph.

I get to work and get out my checkbook so I can send off the payment today so I can get my license back sooner (in Illinois they take your license as bond when you get a ticket). And of course, I can’t mail in the ticket until 10 days after the date it was written.

Yeah it sucks to have this happen. I could have thought of many ways to spend $75 other than paying the State of Illinois. But thankfully, I do not have to obtain a lawyer to get on court supervision (there is a box you can check for that and it doesn’t cost anything extra). So I guess it just taught me to set my cruise control at 60mph and slow it down a bit. Sigh…I would have much rather have spent it the money on these though.

4 comments:

  1. $75?

    That's nothing. In Denver you would be paying like $300 for that same ticket. It's ridic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining too much about it. The only thing that really sucks is waiting for my license.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Illinois they also fail to tell you that you can post your insurance card or bond card as bond; they just like to have your license. I'm sure it's like that in most other states as well...

    In Atlanta, if you were doing 75 in a 55, people would honk at you to move aside so that they can pass you. Crazy-ass ATL drivers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn it I so would have rather have had them take my insurance card since I have another one at home. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete